Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mike Fontenot Traded to the Gaints...

Jim Hendry worked out a trade with the Giants today. The Cubs traded IF Mike Fontenot to the Giants for OF Evan Crawford.

This is not a surprise move and I knew Mike Fontenot would be traded before September 1st. Fontenot has been good in limited action, but this is a move that had to be done. Fontenot lost his starting job, when Castro was called up to play SS. The Cubs will save some money, not much in this deal. They also will save money for next season.

The Cubs have one more spot open on their 40 man-roster and I expect SS Darwin Barney to be called up. The Cubs now, have no back-up SS for Castro and Barney is a SS. I think he will play against lefties at 2B and to give a day off for Starlin Castro. Unlike Fontenot, Barney is a true SS.

I'm not a fan of Crawford and his stats show why. He's not hitting for average and does not walk much. But, he has speed. If he ever makes the majors, I see him as a Joey Gathright type player. A bench player and a pinch runner. And, that's IF he makes the majors. I can see him not making the majors.

I think the Cubs could of got more for Fontenot. Maybe, just a better spect. I just don't like the spect. I guess the only positive is, we will see another rookie and that's what I like. Lets just see how Barney plays when and if he gets the call to the majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment