Thursday, October 28, 2010

Player Profile: Jay Jackson...

Jay Jackson is a 23 year old pitcher, who the Cubs drafted in the 9th round of the 2008 draft. He has made his way through the Cubs minor leagues in a good pace, as he inches closer to making the majors. He's currently playing for the Iowa Cubs in Triple A. Who Ryne Sandberg was the manager. Will Sandberg be back in Triple A to coach him if he starts the 2011 season down there? Only time will tell us....but he was offer the position again. Jay Jackson started the 2010 season with Triple A, but as a reliever not a starter. However, he was switched to the rotation because Andrew Cashner went to the bullpen. But, Cashner is now a good pitcher for the Cubs bullpen.

Jay Jackson was alright last year, as he posted a 11-8 record with a 4.63era, 48 walks, 119 strikeouts in 157.1 innings pitched. As you can see, nothing spectacular but a decent year for him. I like his strikeout to walks ratio. Jackson has 4 or 5 pitches than he can throw for strikes and get outs. I think he will be a good pitcher in the Cubs rotation some day. When will that come? I don't know, but I expect next year some time.

I don't believe Jackson is playing winter ball because I have not seen stats on him or any news-notes on how he is doing. Maybe he just wants the time off from baseball and to relax. I think if he did play winter ball and he performs well, I think there would be a better chance for him to make the team out of spring training (Cubs).

Bruce Levine says Jay Jackson will make the Cubs sometime next season, if it's out of spring training or a mid-summer call-up. Member, we don't know because we have to see if Jim Hendry makes any moves to the starting rotation this winter (FA signings, trades, etc). Also, Ben Badler who writes for Baseball America heard from a scout that Jackson has a nice fastball with a nasty strikeout pitch.

Jackson is not considered a top prospect in all of baseball or even in the Cubs organization, but he has been recognize around the league. He has been in the rankings of the Cubs top 10 prospects, around the mid (4-7). Before the 2010 season, Baseball America had him ranked 98 in all of baseball. That's actually not too bad with everything into consideration. But, will he drop in the 2011 ranks? I think there is a good chance he will. The Cubs Reporter had Jackson ranked 6th in the Cubs organization and I have to agree with that rank. I think he fits right around their.

However, if the Cubs want a top tier pitcher like Zack Greinke, Jackon will most likely have to be included. But, I don't see that happening as Jim Hendry will be reluctant to trade top prospects and the price for Greinke will be too high. Will Greinke be in Cubbie blue to start the 2011 season? I say one out of a million. So, N0!

My prediction: He will make the Cubs during the 2011 season. I don't think he will make the club out of spring training because all 5 spots would be taken. However, I see him being a call-up because a pitcher is slumping, injured or traded. As for being a Cub down the road, I see him as a 3rd or 4th starter in the rotation and he could be one of the best. I just hope for the best for him and can't wait to see what he does this spring training.

Jay Jackson page: MILB.com
Jay Jackson page: Baseball-Reference.com

Do you think he will be a good pitcher and when do you think he will make the majors?

No comments:

Post a Comment