Update 5:20: SS Ryan Theriot ask for 3.4 million, Cubs offered 2.6 million. Closer Carlos Marmol ask for 2.5 million, Cubs offered 1.75 million. P Sean Marshall ask for 1.175 million, Cubs offered 800K. They have until the arbitration hearing anywhere from February 1st to the 21st. If they don't get a deal done before hearing, it will be first hearing for Cubs since 1993 for 1B Mark Grace.
I think the Cubs will not have to got to hearing with any of these players. I think Marmol will get 2.3 million, Theriot will get 3 million and Marshall will get 1.1 million
Bruce Levine, Chicago Baseball reporter chimes in on rumors:
Levine is reporting that the Cubs and Dye have mutual interest and are talking about a deal. Dye will come in as the 4th outfielder, where he still wants a starting role somewhere else. If Dye did come to Chicago he will still get a lot of playing time. He would play for Kosuke when a lefty pitches or if Kosuke goes into another hitting funk, he could become the starter. Also he will give off days to Marlon Byrd and Alfonso Soriano.
Other outfielders that have been mention of coming to Chicago as a 4th outfielder are Xaivier Nady, Eric Byrnes (if clears waivers), Reed Johnson and Johnny Gomes. I think the Cubs will sign Dye to a 1 year offer worth 2-3 million with possible incentives. In 2009 Dye batted .250 with 27hr and 81rbi in 141 games. I would love to have Dye, he would be a good cheap pickup.
In the same report Levine says the Cubs have interest in right-hand reliever of the Padres Luke Gregerson. The Cubs want a RP that has major league experience out of the bullpen. The 25-year went 2-4 with a 3.24 era in 75 innings. He struck out 93 batters with only 31 walks in those innings pitch. He would be a nice addition to the bullpen. I would trade Sean Marshall, Mike Fontenot and a PTBNL for Gregerson.
The Cubs are still talking to the Blue Jays about RP Frasor that has been mention before.
The Cubs have reach agreements on arbitration eligible players INF Jeff Baker (975K), 2B Mike Fontenot (1 million), RP Angel Guzman (825),Tom Gorzelanny (800K), Catcher Koyie Hill (700K). These are all 1 year contracts. 2 players still remaining are closer Carlos Marmol, SS Ryan Theriot and P Sean Marshall. There number figures will come out at 2:00 Chicago time. I will update as soon as that happens.
Notes from Levine's Weekly Chat:
1) Bruce Levine likes Jeff Baker over Mike Fontenot at second base. I totally agree with him.
2) He says we should know fast on Dye if the Cubs sign him. (He answer my question I sent him).
3) He has heard there in no truth to the Ben Sheets rumor that came out of Toronto. I figure that.
4) The Cubs have been taking offers for RP Angel Guzman because they are concerned about his health. I hope Guzman is on there 2010 opening day roster.
5) Next offseason the Cubs will start new rennovations at Wrigley Field. That would be cool and awesome.
6) The Cubs are still talking to pitcher Jose Contreas. I really don't want the Cubs to sign him.
7) Pitcher Jeff Samardzija is not being shop. I wish he was, he could brig something good in and is not that great at throwing.
I will keep you posted.